Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reflections: Weeks 9-12

As always, these past four weeks have been eye-opening.

Week 9: During this week we started our Eco-chic lifestyle goal. I learned how to create a SMART goal to use for my lifestyle change. I also started the Advocacy project. I had to look up all my political representatives. This was good to do because I actually learned who to talk to advocate for issues.


Week 10: This week we watched a video called "Unnatural Causes." This video was about the effects of social class. We had to look at different bills for our advocacy project. This was interesting to learn about all the different issues out there. The second week of my lifestyle change went pretty well; it was fun to challenge myself.

Week 11: We watched a video called "Story of Stuff." It was about what it takes for us to get products. It was interesting to learn how we are able to get products so cheap. I also learned that people usually only keep stuff for 6 months and then throw it away. The junk project was introduced this week. We looked at different junk items and had to think of ways they could be used or transformed. This was also the third week of the lifestyle change and I decided to make my goal more challenging.

Week 12: This week I didn't do so well on my lifestyle change. It was more challenging but I thought I gave it a good try. For this week we had to do a photo essay on the environment. I took pictures of paper and plastics bags. I found that there are a lot more places starting to put out plastic bags recycling containers.

Overall, I think I learned the most about different ways that I can be an advocate in or for my community. I'm learning to look more at junk as a potential treasure and not just junk. Right now, I think I will just be an advocate to my family; I hope I can start getting them to make some changes for the environment. It's almost the end of the semester! I can't wait to see everyone's junk project!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are learning how to advocate and are start at a smaller scale with your family so it isn't overwhelming. I'm excited to see everyone's projects also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa I couldn't agree with you more. I hope to advocate to my family too. Its important for everyone to try to be an advocate when they can. Im also glad that you learned how to write a smart goal, because they are very useful. Good luck the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the advocating assignment and process was very interesting as well. I think it opened a lot of our eyes.

    ReplyDelete