Monday, December 13, 2010

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities

Tackling Transportation: Sarah

Sarah asked us to use Google Transit to find three places we go to a lot. I put in the directions for those places to get alternate routes by either walking or the bus.

I looked at School, Work, and the Grocery store. To get to those places I usually walk or get a ride with a friend. Since I always walk to school and work I did not put them into google transit. I did look up the route for the grocery store. It will take me a total of 8 minutes to get the number 12 bus to take me to the grocery store. I will definitely try to take the bus next time, because it is an easy change to make and hardly takes any time at all.


Occupational Hazard Crossword: Samantha

Sam made a cross word puzzle for us to do. We had to search for the answers.
Answers for crossword:

Across: Down:
3. lead 1. inhalation
5. blood 2. decades
6. symptoms 4. wash
7. work

What surprised me the most was that lead can stay in your bones for decades. I also did my advocacy project on lead, so I already knew all of these answers and did not have to go searching for them, but I still really enjoyed doing the crossword puzzle.

The Effects of Smoking: Kristy

Kristy had a few fact sheets for us to read. After we read them she had us take a survey that she created on Survey Monkey.

I thought this was a really good way to learn the information because it was like studying for a test!

Water Vocabulary Match: Calista

Callie created a memory game about water infrastructure. We had to match the definitions to the word. I thought this was a fun activity to do. It also helped me learn a bunch of new definitions.

Understanding Emissions: Adam

Provided fact sheets about emissions and air pollutants. He also had us calculate the amount of emissions we create. I was very happy to see the after calculating my emissions my total annual pollution from road transport was better than average.

Three things I learned from the fact sheets are:
1. Emissions from cars are the greatest when engines are cold.
2. Maintaining vehicle property is the best way to reduce emissions of pollutants. Dirty air filters, broken air pump and a stuck choke all increase emissions of carbon monoxide.
3. Lung functions of healthy people were limited when they exercised in the presence of smog.

Breathe-Freeville Mystery: Sonny

Sonny created a detective game. The town of Breathe-Freeville was getting sick and we had to look at a suspect she provided and answer the questions.
1. Suspect: PM2.5 or PM Fine
2. Crime: Particles travel deep into the lungs and cause respiratory damage. Also can cause damage to the hear and cause cancer
3. Cause: PM Fine comes from burning fuel in powerplants, factories, cars and trucks. It also can come from the dust off of roads, fields and construction sites.
4. Lock'em Up:To help reduce PM Fine or to not get sick from it, avoid strenuous activity where PM Fine levels are high. There are also programs that put a cap on emissions from powerplants. You can also find out if your area is a non-attainment area which means that it doesn't meet the EPA national standards for air quality.
5. Case File: From this activity I learned what PM Fine is; I have never even heard of it before. I learned that it comes from emissions and can cause a lot of damage to the lungs.

6 comments:

  1. Great job on finishing all of the activities. It seemed like you learned a lot and put a lot of time into them. I'm glad you might incorporate some of the bus routes into your schedule. Maybe it will be your next SMART goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you did a great job completing all the activities. It also seems like you learned something on each one as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is awesome that you are able to walk to school and work. And that the bus only takes 8 minutes for you! I'm jealous. I also really enjoyed the crossword puzzle. You did a really great job compiling the data for detective exercise too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you did a wonderfully at completing all the activities! I really liked the wide variety of activities our group had. I feel like I really learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job at completing everything! I think it's so neat that we all had to do an online learning activity and we all demonstrated different approaches that may be done in order to teach something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job finishing everyones activities, it looks like you too some great information away from each persons lesson. I think these lessons were pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete