Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reflection Weeks 13-14 Combined with Reflection: Overall Course

This is the last post to be done for the class. It seems very strange because I have been blogging so much for this class that it is normal for me to check my blog all the time.

Week 13:
During this week we went to Goodwill and got a tour of the company. It was very interesting to see behind the scenes. I did not know that they provided so many disabled people with jobs. By doing this they sacrifice efficiency for humanity, and I think that is a wonderful thing. Another interesting part of the tour was to see how they crush mattress springs into bundles so that a place can take them and melt them down.

We had to do a blog post to our political representative about the bill we choose for the advocacy project. I thought it was very helpful to learn how to write a letter to a representative to advocate for something.

This was also the last week for my eco-chic lifestyle change. I think over the past five weeks I have accomplished a lot with my lifestyle change. It is still now always easy to shower that fast, but I still try because I know the impact I am having on the environment.

Week 14:
This last week we presented our junk projects to the class. I made a serving piece out of a candle holder and 2 trays. I used gorilla glue to glue it together. Here is a picture of it.




We had to create on online activity about the bill we are advocating for. Then we had to complete all the activities in our web groups. I really like doing this because it was very short, but I learned a lot of information just from doing everyone's activities.

Overall Reflection:
This class has been the most eye-opening class that I have ever taken. The documentaries that we watched were very powerful and never failed to change my thinking about the topic. The video "Tapped" had the most impact on me and I refuse to ever buy a plastic water bottle again. I will continue to advocate for reusable water bottles. I really liked doing the eco-chic lifestyle change because I got to actually change the way I was impacting the environment. The most important thing I learned was about my ecological footprint. It is still crazy to me that I alone, use about 3.6 Earths of resources. I never thought that I had that big of an impact on the Environment, but now that I do I am going to continue to try to reduce the waste I produce and lower my impact on the environment.

6 comments:

  1. Yay, I love that you included a picture of your junking project. It was really creative and practical. Bring it home for Christmas and I bet it will get used. I also agree with you that this has been the most "eye opening" class. I really love how we can take everything we learned and apply it to the outside world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa! I love how you put our delicious snack cookies on your cookie platter. It really makes the project look awesome! I love how passionate you are about plastic water bottles. Keep up the good work advocating for reusable water bottles, especially when you are at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your junking project, it's very creative! It is surprising that this is our last post. I am kinda going to miss the class because I feel we have all learned so much from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of your junking project with the cookies, I think that is a great idea. It is great that you are going to take steps to continue to reduce your environmental impact, I think this class opened a lot of our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your cookie platter is such an original idea. I never would have come up with something like that. I got a lot out of "tapped" also like the rest of the class. I actually just bought my sister another reusable water bottle so she'll quit buying plastic ones. Great job this semester, Alyssa! I've enjoyed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your junking project makes me happy. It reminds me of Lamour, the candlestick from Beauty and the Beast! I would have to agree that with you about the ecological footprint and from that I think we can all learn that what we do does make a difference, whether good or bad, the only question is HOW do you want to make that difference? You have done such an awesome job this semester, Alyssa! Your personality really shines through what you post/comments and I've really enjoyed reading them!

    ReplyDelete